These keto cauliflower hash browns that you can make with your favorite add-ins are a low carb and gluten-free side dish, savory breakfast, or snack that is quick-to-make yet nutritious and delicious.
Ingredients and substitutes
Cauliflower – I think using frozen cauliflower rice is an easier way to make this keto cauliflower hash browns recipe. What I like to do is pulse it in my food processor while still frozen (until it resembles wet sand) and then thaw completely before using it. If any water appears, drain it but don’t try to squeeze it out! Fine cauliflower rice blends better with the rest of the ingredients and makes your patties easy to flip. They will also hold their shape better.
Eggs – To bind all the ingredients together so they don’t fall apart on a frying skillet, we use two large eggs.
Spices – I use salt, black pepper, and chili flakes because I just love them. They are my spice staples. You can skip chili flakes if you don’t like spicy food.
Sesame seed oil – It’s totally optional, but believe me, it will add an interesting flavor touch to this very simple dish.
Cheese - Since there’s no gluten in this recipe, we need to add something that will help to hold the shape of these hash browns. Apart from eggs, cheese is a perfect choice to do that. I use finely shredded Gouda cheese, but cheddar will do as well.
Almond flour – We need a little bit of flour that will take in the excess liquids from the batter. I haven’t tried to make it with coconut flour because I think that the taste of coconut doesn’t belong here. However, if you don’t mind it, you can definitely try to make these low carb keto hash browns with it. Make sure that you add 1 tablespoon instead of two, because coconut flour absorbs more water than almond flour, meaning you need less of it.
Green onions – I add a few chopped green onions to the batter as well as using some for garnishing. You can absolutely skip it.
Oil for frying - You can use olive oil, refined coconut oil, or avocado oil to fry our low carb hash browns.
Step by step directions
In a large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients and mix well.
Heat a generous amount of olive oil (so it covers the bottom of your pan with a thin layer) in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
When hot, add around ¼ cup of the mixture to the pan and press with a spatula. Use the spatula to give a round shape to the hash browns and even out the sides.
Cover with a lid (this is very important if you don’t want to have problems with flipping) and cook for around 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the lid, flip, and cook for 3 minutes without the lid. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
When done, remove onto a plate or large cutting board covered with a paper towel to rest. Serve with sour cream and freshly chopped green onions.
Carbs in keto cauliflower hash browns
This cauliflower hash brown recipe is not only delicious, but perfect for those who follow a low carb or keto diet. Each patty will have only around 1g net carbs so don't be shy – eat a lot!
Different spices - Onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, white pepper, smoked paprika - there's a lot to experiment with.
Bacon bits - Make your own bacon bits or use store-bought ones to add to the cauliflower mixture before frying.
Baby shrimps - If you're a seafood lover, you should try to add chopped baby shrimps to the batter before frying it. Cauliflower and shrimps go well together.
These crispy cauliflower hash browns are a great addition to anything that has to do with seafood. That's why I want you to try to serve them with something like KETO SALMON WITH CILANTRO or SPICY SALMON BITES. Or have them on their own with sour cream or my favorite RANCH DIP.
Yes, you can! Pulse the cauliflower florets in a food processor until resemble wet sand (same with frozen cauliflower) and add to the rest of the ingredients.
Fry your cauliflower hash browns in a generous amount of oil and let them rest and crisp up a little bit on a paper towel before serving.
More low carb recipes
Keto cauliflower hash browns
- Large (11-inch/28cm) non-stick skillet
- 10 oz 300g frozen cauliflower rice pulsed in a food processor while still frozen; thaw and drain the excess of water if it appeared
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 small stock spring onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes optional if you don’t like spicy food
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- ½ cup 60g Gouda or cheddar cheese finely grated
- 2 tablespoon almond flour
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Olive oil avocado oil, or refined coconut oil for frying
- Green onions chopped
- Sour cream
- Ranch dip
- In a large mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients and mix well.
- Heat a generous amount of olive oil (so it covers the bottom of your pan with a thin layer) in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat.
- When hot, add around ¼ cup of the mixture to the pan and press with a spatula. Use the spatula to give a round shape to the hash browns and even out the sides.
- Cover with a lid and cook for around 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the lid, flip, and cook for 3 minutes without the lid. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- When done, remove onto a plate or a large cutting board covered with a paper towel to rest. Serve with sour cream and freshly chopped green onions.
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com