This easy creamy mushroom soup with potatoes, onions, and garlic is comforting and warming with a rich mushroom flavor. This recipe uses no flour, so it's suitable for the gluten-free crowd.
Brrrr… can you feel it? It's cold outside! It's time for chili, gravy, and SOUP!
What could be better than a bowl of hot, creamy mushroom soup after a long walk in the fall woods? I'll tell you! NOTHING!
The first time I made cream of mushroom soup, I was in university. It was a time when I struggled with my weight so I was trying to eat healthy food and, as a result, cooking everything from scratch. Like, literally everything! Can you imagine how much time it took me to make a pot of soup? A LOT! First, I was making veggie stock, then I was sautéing, and then blending and adding cooking cream.
Now I'm more relaxed with my cooking. I’m okay using premade stuff that makes my life easier, like veggie stock cubes 🙂 So I adjusted this recipe just the way I wanted and, let me tell you, this new version is just amazing! It's delicious, it's healthy, it's gluten-free, and it takes only 30 mins to make.
HOW DO YOU THICKEN CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP?
There are several ways to do it. You can mix in flour paste, or add corn starch, tapioca, or arrowroot slurry at the end of cooking - but I use another method. Potatoes! Yes, you heard it right, I use starchy potatoes to thicken up the soup. It works fantastically. Potatoes add so much needed thickness and nice creamy texture to the soup! This method also makes the dish gluten-free.
HOW DO YOU ADD CREAM TO SOUP?
Higher-fat creams are resistant to curdling, so there’s nothing to worry about when using a cream with 15% fat. But, just in case, the best way to prevent the cream from curdling is to take it out of the fridge in advance, bring it to room temperature, and then slowly add it to the hot-but-not-boiling soup.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH EASY CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP?
This soup is so delicious and satisfying on its own! But, if you're extra hungry or just want to pair it with something else, I would suggest you try it with:
KETO GRILLED CHEESE - Cream of mushroom soup and grilled cheese sandwich - a couple made in heaven!
LOW CARB CHIA CRACKERS - Buttery and salty chia crackers will be a perfect addition to your creamy mushroom soup.
EASY CREAMY MUSHROOM SOUP
- 200 g potatoes diced
- 300 g white bottom mushrooms diced
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 20 g butter unsalted
- 200 ml cooking cream 15% fat
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Measure 600ml of water, pour it in a 3-quart stockpot and bring to the boil. Add the vegetable stock cube, potatoes and season with salt if needed. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender. It should take around 8-10 min depends on the size of the potato cubes. Remove the pot from the heat and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick skillet (10 inches) over medium-high heat. Add the butter.
- When the butter is fully melted, add the onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions are just softened. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, and cook until the mushrooms are golden brown and reduced in size.
- Remove the skillet from the heat; add the onions and mushrooms into the stockpot with potatoes in it.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. You can also use a food processor or a standing blender instead. Work in batches if needed and return the soup to the pot after you finish.
- Return the pot to medium heat. Stir the cooking cream into the soup. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, if needed. When you see the first bubbles on the surface, turn off the heat and remove the pot from the stove.
- Serve the soup with freshly chopped chives and reserved mushroom slices.
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com
SHARING IS CARING