Fast and easy-to-make keto grilled cheese sandwich for those who miss bread on a low carb or keto diet! Serve it for breakfast, brunch, or lunch on its own, or with a soup or salad of your choice.
Keto bread for grilled cheese
This MICROWAVE KETO BREAD recipe is all over the Internet – and there’s a reason for that. Not everyone has the time to bake their own loaf of keto bread and it’s not something that you can easily find and buy on supermarkets’ shelves. That’s why this recipe is priceless to have on-hand for those who live a low carb lifestyle.
Usually, 90-second keto bread calls for either coconut flour or almond flour, but 1:1 proportions of these two flours – with some psyllium fiber powder as a gluten replacement – gives this bread the best texture you can get.
To make 2 slices of gluten-free 90 second bread, you need to mix all dry ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl (I use a small rectangular glass lunch box) or ramekin. Then, melt the butter in a small mixing bowl and let it cool down a little bit. Add the cream cheese, apple cider vinegar, egg, and mix well. The last step will be adding the wet ingredient to dry ones, mixing everything together one more time, and microwaving for 1.5-2 mins or until firm.
Now we have to put together our keto grilled cheese sandwich….
Step by step directions
I think most people know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich, but if you haven’t done this before, you may find these instructions helpful in succeeding from the first try.
Take the bread slices that we made in the first paragraph and start frying them on a skillet slightly greased with butter over a medium-high heat. When the bread turned golden brown on the first side, flip only one piece of the bread, place your cheese of choice on top (in my case, I use 2 small slices of mozzarella and 2 thin slices of gouda) and season with some freshly ground black pepper. Using a spatula, lift the second piece and place it on top of the cheese, browned-side down. Cook your low carb grilled cheese sandwich until both sides are golden brown and the cheese has melted.
What cheese to choose
The type of cheese used for grilled cheese sandwiches is a matter of taste (let’s count how many times I mention “cheese” in this post). Many recipes call for mature cheddar cheese for its “sharp” taste, but I decided to go with a milder flavor and use my favorite cheese in the whole world – gouda, complemented by the stringiness of Italian mozzarella cheese.
You can definitely eat it on its own for breakfast or lunch! Believe me, it’s a very satisfying meal. But, if you want to pair it with something else, I would suggest you try it with:
KETO EGG SALAD RECIPE WITH AVOCADO – If you're tired of avocado toasts, try the combination of keto grilled cheese sandwich and avocado egg salad.
HEALTHY TUNA EGG SALAD RECIPE - Yet another delicious salad that will go well with my keto grilled cheese.
More keto recipes
Keto Grilled Cheese
- Microwave-safe bowl or ramekin
- 1 tbsp almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp psyllium husk powder
- ½ tsp baking powder, use gluten-free baking powder for a gluten-free option
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of sweetener, I use Sukrin
- 1 tbsp cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 medium egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 thin slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 thin slices gouda cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Butter for greasing
- Combine all dry ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl or ramekin so no clumps remain.
- Melt the butter in a small microwave-safe mixing bowl and let it cool down a little. Add the egg, cream cheese, apple cider vinegar, and mix well.
- Add the wet mixture to dry, mix it all together, and microwave for about 1.5-2 minutes on high until firm.
- Let the bread cool for a little bit before you take it out of the microwave-safe bowl or ramekin, then slice it in half.
Assembling the sandwich:
- Heat a little bit of butter in a skillet over a medium-high heat and fry the two slices of bread on one side.
- When the bread turns golden brown, flip only one piece of bread, place your cheese of choice on top of it and season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Using a spatula, lift the second piece and place it on top of the cheese, browned-side down. Cook your sandwich until both sides are golden brown and the cheese has melted.
- Serve warm!
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com