This Dutch oven pulled pork recipe is sugar-free, gluten-free and, of course, keto-friendly! Fatty meat with beer and BBQ sauce is a combination that no-one can resist. Make a big batch of it and serve for family celebrations. Also, it’s perfect as a meal prep recipe.
As a former bartender, I love cooking with beer! Sometimes I put it in the food I’m cooking! But, all joking aside, who doesn’t like the pork and beer combo? Just add some healthy BBQ sauce and how can you say NO to this easy pulled pork recipe? I don’t think you can! It’s so juicy, so satisfying; it will become your favorite keto pork recipe.
HOW TO MAKE DUTCH OVEN PULLED PORK?
First, we need to take our pork shoulder and cut it into 4-6 smaller pieces; this will reduce the cooking time. Season the meat with salt and ground black pepper and leave it to marinate for 30 mins at room temperature. Use this time to prepare our BBQ sauce and dry rub mix.
Then, take the pork shoulder pieces and rub them with the dry rub mix. Melt some butter in the Dutch oven over a medium-high heat and brown the meat on every side (work in batches if needed). Next, remove the meat from the Dutch oven and set aside.
To the same Dutch oven, add extra butter if needed and cook the onions and garlic until slightly browned. The bottom of the Dutch oven will become dark-brown, so we need to deglaze it. To do that, add a splash of water and stir with a wooden spoon or a spatula.
Now we need to return our meat to the Dutch oven with the onions and garlic, stir it all together, and add a magical liquid – beer! Oh, and a cup of beef broth, of course – how could I forget? Stir one more time, cover with a lid, and place it into the oven preheated at 135C (270F) for 2.5-3 hours, or until the meat shreds easily.
When done, remove the Dutch oven from the oven, open the lid and – using 2 forks – shred the meat. Add our sugar-free BBQ sauce, stir everything together, and return to the oven for 30 mins to 1 hour uncovered.
Serve it hot topped with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH KETO BBQ PULLED PORK?
If I wasn’t on a keto diet, I would eat Dutch oven pulled pork with mashed potatoes, but there’s a healthier alternative – CREAMY CAULIFLOWER MASH. It’s a low-carb side dish that’s creamy and tastes very
similar to mashed potatoes.
Also, I can’t stop myself from mentioning that you can use this keto pork recipe with my MICROWAVE KETO BREAD to create an amazing sloppy joe style pulled pork BBQ sandwiches!
Other than that, Dutch oven pork butt or shoulder can go well with roasted root vegetables like these EASY ROASTED CARROTS AND PARSNIPS or just on the top of your favorite fresh vegetable salad.
MORE LOW CARB PORK RECIPES TO TRY
Dutch oven pulled pork recipe
- Dutch oven (4qt/4lt)
- 2.5 lb (1,2kg) pork butt or shoulder, boneless, fat trimmed
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup (225ml) beef broth
- 0,33 cl gluten-free beer (lager or ale)
- Ground black pepper
- Unsalted butter for frying, ghee to make it Paleo
- 1 tbsp smoky paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ⅔ cup (150g) ketchup, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp chipotle paste
- Cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedges, optional
- Take the pork shoulder, cut it into 4-6 pieces, season with salt and ground black pepper, and let it marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the BBQ sauce ingredients and set aside. Then, combine together the dry rub ingredients also set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 135C (270F).
- Take the pork shoulder pieces and rub them with the dry rub mix.
- Melt some butter in a Dutch oven (4qt/4 liters) over a medium-high heat and brown all pieces of the pork on each side. When done, remove the meat from the Dutch oven and place it on a clean plate.
- To the same Dutch oven, add extra butter if needed and cook the onions and garlic until slightly browned. Then, add a splash of water to deglaze the bottom of the oven and place the browned meat back. Stir the meat, onions, and garlic together.
- Add the beer and beef broth to the meat, cover the Dutch oven with a lid, and place in the preheated oven for 2.5-3 hours or until the meat shreds easily.
- After, remove the Dutch oven from the oven, open the lid and - using 2 forks - shred the meat. Add the BBQ sauce, stir everything together, and return to the oven for 30 mins to 1 hour with the lid off.
- Serve it hot topped with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com