This easy keto coleslaw recipe is a gluten-free and low carb side dish with a creamy and flavorful dressing. Serve it with BBQ pulled pork, as a topping in your sandwich, or in a hamburger.
Ingredients and substitutions
Vegetables - I usually prepare my coleslaw mix by myself using purple and white cabbage, some carrots, and a little bit of dill. However, you can always buy a pre-made coleslaw mix that you like.
Instant keto mayonnaise - Or you can use any keto-friendly mayo of your choice.
Mustard - I use Dijon mustard, as it has a lot of flavors and no sugar.
Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar - While vinegar adds acidity and tanginess to the dressing, lemon juice provides fresh notes to our low carb coleslaw.
Seasoning - Use salt, freshly ground black pepper, and celery seeds for extra flavor.
Sweetener - Optionally, you can add a couple of teaspoons of sweetener of your choice. I recommend using either allulose or a blend of erythritol and stevia from Sukrin, as they have little to no aftertaste.
Step by step directions
If you decided to make your own keto slaw mix, prepare vegetables by shredding cabbages using a knife and shredding carrots using a box grater. Then, finely chop the dill, add it into a large mixing bowl with the rest of the veggies, and mix until well combined.
Take a small mixing bowl and add mayo, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, and seasoning. Mix well.
Pour the coleslaw dressing into a bowl with the veggie mix and toss until all vegetables are coated in dressing. Taste and adjust salt, if needed.
Place into the fridge for 30 minutes to combine the flavors and serve.
Carbs in coleslaw
Made with low carb vegetables, this coleslaw is perfect for those who follow a keto low carb diet. This recipe will be enough to serve 6 people and each serving will have around 6g net carbs.
This sugar-free coleslaw will be an amazing addition to this DUTCH OVEN PULLED PORK RECIPE or any other pulled or braised meats. Not into pork or beef? Then try these chicken favorites - BAKED KETO BUFFALO WINGS or BUFFALO KETO CHICKEN TENDERS. Or, you can always make something simple as these delicious and nutritious KETO EGG MUFFINS to serve with our coleslaw on the side.
When combined with dressing, cabbage (like other vegetables) will “sweat”, getting rid of the water that’s inside. So, it’s normal for coleslaw to get a little bit watery after a while. Make your coleslaw right before serving to make sure it won’t become too watery. Or, if you want to make it the day before, you can toss cabbage with some salt and let it sit at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Then, drain the water by squeezing with the hands, then mix with the dressing and the rest of the ingredients. Refrigerate before serving.
Store homemade coleslaw in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
More low carb recipes
- 10 oz 300g white cabbage, core removed
- 10 oz 300g purple cabbage, core removed
- ¼ cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 medium 100g carrot, peeled
- ⅓ cup 80g Instant keto mayonnaise or any keto mayo of your choice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1-2 teaspoon granulated sweetener, optional
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Shred the carrots using a box grater and cabbages using a knife. Place everything into a large mixing bowl and add the minced dill. Mix until combined.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the mayo, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, and seasoning.
- Pour the dressing into a bowl with the veggie mix and toss until all vegetables are coated in dressing. Taste and adjust salt, if needed.
- Place into the fridge for 30 minutes to combine the flavors and serve.
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com