This creamy and healthy keto Zuppa Toscana soup with ground beef is a perfect winter comfort food recipe! Flavorful with a warming touch of chili flakes and cauliflowers instead of potatoes, it’s an ultimate low carb lunch recipe.
There’re two recipes that I make all the time during winter - NO BEAN KETO CHILI RECIPE and keto Zuppa Toscana soup! These two recipes are my go-to comfort food dishes that both my partner and I love so much.
Zuppa Toscana soup originates in the central part of Italy (Tuscany) and is filled with keto-friendly ingredients - except for potatoes and Tuscan bread, which makes this dish not low-carb at all. But, we’re not here to deny ourselves from this amazing soup recipe! Let’s make a keto version of it, shall we?
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY KETO ZUPPA TOSCANA RECIPE?
This is a one-pot recipe (my favorite kind of recipe), so we need one big pot. I use a 4qt/ 4 liters enameled Dutch oven but a regular stockpot will do!
Add some butter to your pot and melt it on a stove over a medium-high heat. Then, add the carrots, onions, and garlic with red pepper flakes or chili flakes and cook for up to 5 minutes or until the onions are golden.
The next step will be to add our ground beef. Break it apart with a wooden spoon or a spatula, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cook for 8 minutes or until completely browned.
Now we need to add the beef broth and cauliflower (if you use frozen cauliflower, no need to thaw it completely!) and simmer our soup for 15 mins. Lastly, add the heavy cream and cook for an additional 5 minutes. It’s that simple!
Enjoy this very best keto soup with some shredded cheese, cilantro leaves, and lime wedges (totally optional, but I really like a pinch of acidity with the bold flavors from beef broth and heavy cream).
IS ZUPPA TOSCANA KETO-FRIENDLY?
As I mentioned before, traditionally this soup is made with potatoes and Tuscan bread which makes it not keto – and not even low carb. But we don’t need potatoes or bread at all to make keto Tuscan soup! Cauliflower is a great potato substitute and will work wonderfully in this recipe. And, if you want some bread on the side, you can try my KETO GRILLED CHEESE recipe or these delicious KETO DINNER ROLLS.
You’ll get 6 portions of low carb Zuppa Toscana soup with 6g net carbs per one portion. So, it is indeed a keto-friendly soup!
MORE KETO RECIPES WITH BEEF
Healthy keto Zuppa Toscana soup
- Stockpot, soup pot or Dutch-oven (4qt/4 liters)
- 4 large (300g) carrots, diced
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tsp chili flakes or 2 small dried chili peppers, crushed
- 1 lb (500g) lean ground beef
- 4 cups (1 liter) beef broth
- 1 small crown (300g) cauliflower, frozen or fresh, diced
- 1 cup (225ml) heavy cream
- Ground black pepper
- Butter for frying, unslated
- Shredded cheese of your choice, I use gouda
- Cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedges, optional
- In a deep pot (4qt/4 liters), melt the butter over a medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots, onions, garlic, and chili flakes and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the onions start picking up a golden color.
- Add the ground beef, season with salt and ground black pepper to taste, and cook for 8 minutes, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon or a spatula until cooked through or until the meat has no red color left.
- When ready, add the cauliflower and beef broth and stir everything together.
- Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat to a light simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Then, add heavy cream, adjust saltiness if needed, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve hot topped with shredded cheese, cilantro leaves, and lime wedges.
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com