This creamy keto butternut squash soup is a warming, sweet (and a little bit spicy!), gluten-free recipe that you need to enjoy the fall season to the fullest.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED
Butternut squash - We're going to use fresh butternut squash for this sweet and spicy keto squash soup.
Carrots - I swapped some butternut squash with carrots to bring in more complex flavors and a little bit of sweetness while reducing the amount of carbs in this recipe (yes, carrots have fewer carbs than butternut squash!)
Onions and garlic - There are no questions about garlic, but what about onions? Well, if you really want to make this fall soup recipe as low in carbs as it's possible, you should go for either yellow or white onions.
Vegetable broth - I use vegetable stock cubes - 1.5 cubes dissolved in 3 cups of boiling hot water to be specific. You can use 3 cups of any vegetable stock you like.
Heavy cream - I use 40% fat heavy cream, but 36% fat will do too! I would not recommend using half and half in this squash soup recipe as your half and half can curdle during the simmering process. For dairy-free people out there, you can definitely use full-fat coconut milk, but the flavor will become more coconutty. If you're fine with that, go ahead and make this recipe dairy-free and vegan!
Spices - You'll need sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, ground chipotle pepper, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg to create a very special flavor that represents the fall season and this low-carb butternut squash soup.
Unsalted butter – We’ll use butter for frying onions and garlic and roasting our delicious butternut squash in the oven. You can also use mild olive oil or coconut oil to make it vegan and paleo.
HOW TO MAKE LOW-CARB BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
After you’ve peeled and cut your butternut squash and carrots, place them into a large mixing bowl and add freshly ground black pepper and ground chipotle pepper to taste. Then, add 2 tablespoons melted butter (we're going to use the other 2 tablespoons to sauté the garlic and onions) and toss well so all the vegetables are completely coated in the seasoning and butter.
Next, place the veggies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and fork-tender.
Meanwhile, heat the rest of the butter in a medium-sized stockpot over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until slightly golden. When done, add the vegetable broth and stir well. Add the roasted butternut squash and carrots, bring to the simmer, and let it cook for 10 minutes. Then stir in the heavy cream (or coconut milk to make this dish vegan and paleo), bring to a simmer, cook for 5 minutes, and remove from the heat.
Now to the spices, without which this creamy butternut squash soup wouldn't be complete! Add the ground nutmeg, cinnamon, and extra salt if needed. Take an immersion blender and puree the soup until creamy and smooth. You can also use a food processer or a standing blender and work in batches if needed. Pour our butternut squash cream soup into soup bowls and garnish with feta cheese crumbs, freshly grounded black pepper, pumpkin seeds. Now serve.
IS BUTTERNUT SQUASH LOW-CARB?
Is butternut squash keto-friendly? Yes, it is! Butternut squash has around 9g net carbs per 100g and can be enjoyed in moderation on a keto diet. Also, in this keto soup, I swapped some squash with carrots that are lower in net carbs. So, I really tried to make it as keto compatible it's possible. However, if you feel like it's too risky for you and you want to be more conscious about your carb intake, try this HEALTHY KETO ZUPPA TOSCANA SOUP. It's warming and super satisfying!
WHAT SHOULD I SERVE WITH CREAMY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP?
That's a good question! Don't let this easy creamy squash soup deceive you; it's very satisfying and full of healthy fats. However, eating soup without anything else is boring. So, I recommend you try some LOW CARB CHIA CRACKERS, KETO SEED CRACKERS, or (my personal favorite) toasted MICROWAVE KETO BREAD with extra butter on top. Any of these are fantastic on the side of this amazing roasted butternut squash soup recipe.
MORE KETO RECIPES
Creamy keto butternut squash soup recipe
- Baking sheet
- Immersion blender, food processor or standing blender
- 17 oz (500g) or one medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3.5 oz (100g) or two small carrots, peeled and cut
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chipotle pepper powder
- 4 tbsp (60g) unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (60g) small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups 700ml vegetable stock
- 1 cup 240g heavy cream, room temperature
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Feta cheese or white cheese for garnishing
- Pumpkin seeds for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 200C (390F).
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a microwave and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cubed butternut squash, carrots, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and ground chipotle pepper to taste. Add the melted butter and toss well so all vegetables are completely coated in seasoning and butter. Place everything on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and fork tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the butter in a medium-sized stockpot over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until slightly golden. When done, add the vegetable broth and stir well. Add the roasted squash and carrots, bring to a simmer, and let it cook for 10 minutes. Then stir in the heavy cream, bring to a simmer, cook for 5 minutes, and remove from the heat.
- Add the ground nutmeg, cinnamon, and extra salt if needed. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until creamy and smooth.
- Pour into soup bowls and garnish with feta cheese crumbs, freshly grounded black pepper, roasted pumpkin seeds. Ready to serve!
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com