This delicious keto chicken thighs recipe with mushroom sauce is perfect for meal prep or just to enjoy with the company of friends at the dinner table. Creamy and flavorful, this dish will make it to the top of your list of keto, low carb, and gluten-free recipes.
Despite my unconditional love for red meat, I enjoy eating chicken - and especially chicken thighs for their tenderness and juiciness! But this keto chicken recipe with creamy mushroom sauce became my absolute favorite dish to make for dinner. It’s so rich in flavors yet so easy to make that I couldn’t stop myself from sharing this recipe with you.
HOW TO MAKE KETO CHICKEN THIGHS RECIPE?
We’ll need 1kg of boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe (I bought a package with 11 medium pieces inside). Season them on both sides with salt and ground black pepper and set aside. Take your diced onions and minced garlic and cook on a large skillet greased with some unsalted butter over a medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until they start browning. Then, take your chicken thighs, place them on the same skillet, and fry on both sides until cooked through and have a golden-brown crust. The cooking time will vary on the size of your chicken thighs but I found that medium size pieces will need approximately 8 minutes on each side to cook through. If you have large pieces, you might want to increase the cooking time a little bit.
HOW DO I KNOW WHEN CHICKEN THIGHS ARE DONE?
Poke the center of a chicken thigh with a knife; if the juice comes out clear, it’s done. If the juice has even a slightly pinkish color, let the chicken cook for couple more minutes. I use this method all the time and have never ended up eating raw chicken.
You can also use a more precise method by checking the internal temperature of your chicken with an instant cooking thermometer. For thoroughly cooked chicken, whether it’s chicken breast or chicken thigh, it should be 165F or 73C.
MAKING CREAMY MUSHROOM SAUCE
When the chicken is done, transfer it from the skillet to a plate and set aside. Now, time to make our creamy mushroom sauce! On the same skillet, cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until they reduce in size and start browning. Then add the heavy cream, season with salt and black pepper to taste, and cook for an additional 5-10 mins. When the mushroom sauce is slightly thickened, add the chicken back to the skillet and let it cook without flipping it for another 2 minutes.
Serve hot, topped with freshly chopped green onions with CREAMY KETO CAULIFLOWER MASH to complete your perfect keto mushroom chicken dish. Or, if you want something with more carbs on the side, I recommend you try my GARLIC RANCH SAUTEED BROCCOLI AND SWEET POTATOES side dish recipe.
If chicken meat is your favorite, I have one more keto chicken recipe for you! Check out this SLOW-COOKED CHIPOTLE CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS recipe and give it a try; you won’t regret it.
Keto chicken thighs recipe with mushroom sauce
- 2.2 lb (1kg) chicken thighs, boneless
- 8 oz (250g) baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (125g) heavy cream
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ small onion, diced
- Ground black pepper
- Unsalted butter for frying
- Green onions for garnishing, chopped
- Season the chicken thighs from both sides with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Heat a large skillet over a medium-high heat and add the butter.
- When the butter has melted, add the onions and garlic and cook until they started browning.
- Place the chicken thighs onto the skillet and fry on each side for 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- When the chicken has a nice, crispy crust on both sides and is no longer pink in the center, transfer it from the skillet to a clean plate and set aside.
- On the same skillet, cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until they reduce in size and started browning. Then add the heavy cream, season with salt and black pepper to taste, and cook for additional 5-10 mins.
- When the mushroom sauce is slightly thickened, add the chicken back to the skillet and let it cook without flipping it for another 2 minutes.
- Serve hot, topped with freshly chopped green onions over a side dish of your choice.
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com