Extra flavorful and creamy keto cauliflower mash is a perfect alternative to mashed potatoes, created for those who are following the keto diet or just want to cut on carbs!
Since I’ve started my keto journey, I haven’t missed bread, rice, or pasta. I myself can’t believe that I don’t crave all those things anymore. 99% of my carb cravings are gone. Why 99%? Well, I reserved 1% for potatoes, which are very dear to my heart. That’s why I wanted to find an alternative to my beloved mashed potatoes - and I found it. There are a lot of mashed cauliflower recipes out there and I’ve tried some of them, but in the end, I stopped on the one that I used for my regular mashed potatoes recipe. I just replaced potatoes with cauliflower and it worked wonderfully.
Cauliflower - You can use fresh or frozen cauliflower in this recipe, but I chose frozen because it's cheaper and quicker to prepare.
Butter - Use unsalted butter for our cauliflower mash recipe.
Heavy cream - 36-40% fat heavy cream will work amazingly in this low carb cauliflower mash. Additionally, you can add one tablespoon of cream cheese or sour cream for extra flavor and a creamy consistency.
Seasoning - We'll need salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and ground cardamom with nutmeg. Yes, it's a lot of spices, but they really help this keto mashed cauliflower taste almost like your regular mashed potatoes.
First, you need to cook the cauliflower. To do so, place the florets in a stockpot, pour in cold water until completely covered, and add salt. Bring to the boil and cook until easily pierced with a fork.
When the cauliflower is fork-tender, remove it from the heat and drain well.
Using an immersion blender, purée until the consistency is smooth and creamy. You can also use a food processor or a standing blender instead. Then place the mashed cauliflower into a cheesecloth and drain it again. There’s no need to force the water out; when the cauliflower is in the cheesecloth, you’ll see how water runs out by itself. Just make sure that you’ve placed the cloth above some kind of bowl which will collect the liquids to discard later.
Meanwhile, add butter and heavy cream to the same stockpot. Heat everything over a medium heat until it starts to simmer and then remove from the heat. Add the drained cauliflower, season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, nutmeg, and cardamom, and mix well.
Serve our creamy keto cauliflower mash right away with melted butter and fresh herbs of your choice, or with my LOW CARB KETO GRAVY RECIPE.
What does mashed cauliflower taste like
Cauliflower is a very versatile vegetable; it has an almost neutral flavor, a little bit nutty. This means it’s very easy to give cauliflower different flavors using different spices. That being said, it’s a perfect vegetable to you use instead of potatoes for your side dishes. When using spices like those in my recipe, it’s very difficult to differentiate between mashed potatoes and cauliflower mash.
Is cauliflower keto
Yes, it is! I’ll go ahead and say that cauliflower is a staple food for people who follow the keto or low carb diet. It has around 3g of net carbs per 100g.
How many carbs in keto mashed cauliflower
This recipe will provide you with 4 portions of keto cauliflower mashed potatoes, each of which has around 7g net carbs.
Serve this delicious keto side dish with my DUTCH OVEN PULLED PORK RECIPE, EASY BEEF BOURGUIGNON RECIPE, or KETO GARLIC BUTTER PORK CHOPS. It also goes well with poultry dishes like this one: KETO CHICKEN THIGHS RECIPE WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE.
More low carb side dish recipes
Creamy keto cauliflower mash
- An immersion blender, food processor, or a standing blender
- 35 oz (1kg) cauliflower, frozen
- 3 tablespoon (40g) butter, unsalted
- ¼ cup (50g) heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh chives parsley, or thyme leaves
- Melted butter
- LOW CARB KETO GRAVY RECIPE
- Place the cauliflower in a stockpot, pour in cold water until completely covered, and add salt. Bring to the boil and cook until fork-tender.
- When done, remove from the heat and drain well.
- Using an immersion blender, purée until the consistency is smooth and creamy. You can also use a food processor or standing blender instead. Then put the mashed cauliflower inside a cheesecloth and place it over a bowl. Let it drain for a while.
- Meanwhile, add butter and heavy cream to the same stockpot. Heat over a medium heat until it starts to simmer and remove from the heat. Add the drained cauliflower puree, season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, nutmeg, and cardamom, and mix well.
- Serve right away with melted butter and the fresh herbs of your choice or keto gravy.
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com