Extra flavorful and creamy keto cauliflower mash is a perfect alternative to mashed potatoes, created for those who are following the keto diet or just want to cut on carbs!
Since I’ve started on my keto journey, I haven’t been missing bread, rice, or pasta. I myself can’t believe that I don’t crave all those things anymore. 99% of my carb cravings are gone. Why 99%? Well, I reserved 1% for potatoes, which are very dear to my heart. That’s why I wanted to find an alternative to my beloved mashed potatoes - and I found it. There are a lot of cauliflower mash recipes out there and I tried some of them but, in the end, I stopped on the one that I used for my regular mashed potatoes recipe. I just replaced potatoes with cauliflower and it worked wonderfully.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY KETO CAULIFLOWER MASH?
It’s so easy to make that I hesitated to post this recipe on my blog. It’s like teaching someone to make a peanut butter sandwich, but it’s so delicious that I couldn’t resist sharing it with you guys!
First, you need to boil your cauliflower. It doesn’t matter what cauliflower you use, fresh or frozen, but I highly recommend you choose a frozen one. First, it’s cheaper, and second, fresh cauliflower is perfect for roasting or stir-frying but boiling it will be a waste of the product, in my opinion.
When the cauliflower is soft, remove it from the heat and drain well. Lastly, you need to add all the remaining ingredients - apart from the chives - to the cooked cauliflower and puree it well. Serve it with some melted butter and chopped chives. Bon appetite!
WHAT DOES MASHED CAULIFLOWER TASTE LIKE?
Cauliflower is a very versatile vegetable; it has an almost neutral flavor, a little bit nutty. It makes it very easy to give cauliflower different flavors using different spices. That being said, it’s a perfect vegetable that you can use instead of potatoes for your side dishes. When using spices like in my recipe, it’s very difficult to differentiate between mashed potatoes and cauliflower mash.
IS CAULIFLOWER KETO-FRIENDLY?
Yes, it is! I’ll go ahead and say that cauliflower is a staple food for people who follow the keto or low carb diet. It has only 1.1g of net carbs per 100g, so don’t worry - eat as much as you like.
MORE LOW CARB SIDE DISH RECIPES TO TRY
Creamy keto cauliflower mash
- 1 kg cauliflower, fresh or frozen
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 50 g whipping cream, nor whipped
- 2 tbsp dill, fresh or frozen, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chives to garnish, chopped
- Melted unsalted butter to garnish
- Cook the cauliflower in boiling water.
- When softened, remove from the heat and drain well.
- Add the whipping cream, butter, garlic powder, ground nutmeg, and sea salt with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Using an immersion blender, purée until the consistency is smooth and creamy. You can also use a food processor or a standing blender instead.
- Serve with chopped chives and melted butter.