Made with tomatoes, chiles, onions, cilantro, and lime juice, this easy low carb keto salsa fresca (aka pico de gallo) is a refreshing gluten-free condiment or dip for a variety of dishes.
Ingredients and substitutes
Tomatoes - Red, ripe, sweet tomatoes are essential for this delicious tomato salsa recipe. It's up to you how big you want to cut your tomatoes - I prefer to cut them as finely as possible (almost the same size as onions).
Onions - Use yellow or white onions (or even red onions) to make this low carb salsa.
Peppers - How many peppers to use depends on how spicy you want your salsa to be. Usually, I add one pepper, mix all the ingredients, and let the salsa marinate for at least 5 minutes. Then I try it and decide if I want to add one more pepper, or maybe just half of it to adjust the spiciness to my liking. If fresh cayenne or serrano peppers are too spicy for you, use jalapenos instead.
Lime juice and white wine vinegar - All this freshness and the sour-sweet taste that pico de gallo is famous for can't be achieved without freshly squeezed lime juice. As for vinegar, it helps to remove the very strong onion taste and odor, leaving us with sweetness and a crunchy texture.
Seasoning - I use salt and freshly ground pepper to taste in this recipe, but you can use just salt if you like.
Step by step directions
Start making our easy keto salsa recipe by finely chopping the onions and placing them into a large mixing bowl. Add the vinegar, mix well, and set aside to marinate while preparing other vegetables and herbs.
Finely chop the pepper or peppers and cilantro and add to the onions. Then chop the tomatoes and add them to the same bowl.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, then squeeze the juice of one lime into the bowl. Mix all ingredients well and place into the fridge for at least 30 minutes to marry the flavors.
This keto-friendly salsa can accompany a variety of dishes. Obviously, you need to try it with my LOW CARB KETO TORTILLA CHIPS, since keto chips and salsa are meant to be together! Am I right or am I right? However, this amazing keto condiment will go well with something more substantial, like this LOW CARB SPICY MEATBALLS RECIPE or OVEN-BAKED LEMON BUTTER CHICKEN THIGHS RECIPE.
How many carbs in salsa
As a condiment or a dip, homemade salsa fresca is meant to be eaten in rather small amounts. Therefore, it can be enjoyed in moderation on a keto diet despite all the tomatoes and onions that are inside! I would suggest splitting this recipe into 6 servings, which will lead us to around 2g net carbs per serving.
More low carb recipes
Keto salsa fresca
- 1 small (50g) white or yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar, optional
- 11 oz (300g) tomatoes, chopped
- 1-2 fresh cayenne or serrano peppers depending on your spice sensitivity, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- ½ cup 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Place the finely chopped onions in a large mixing bowl and add the vinegar. Mix well and set aside to marinate while preparing other vegetables and herbs.
- Finely chop the pepper or peppers and cilantro and add to the onions. Then chop the tomatoes and add them to the same bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, then squeeze the juice of one lime into the bowl. Mix all ingredients well and place into the fridge for at least 30 minutes to combine the flavors.
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com