This spicy bacon frittata is a perfect alternative to a regular breakfast omelet. It has a soft and custardy texture with some crispy spicy bacon bits and tender zucchini cubes.
I was an omelet person… until I tried frittata. Now I’m obsessed with it and I cook it, I would say, way too often. I need to stop this obsession! Like, seriously! But, before I do, I want to share with you my favorite way of making this easy Italian egg and cheese-based dish.
Since I like spicy food, I couldn’t help myself throwing some chili peppers in my SPICY Bacon Frittata. To make it more colorful I added zucchini but, if you don’t like this combo, no worries! There’s plenty of room for experimenting with different ingredients.
WHAT DO YOU PUT IN A FRITTATA?
Frittatas are one of the most versatile dishes you can find. In choosing ingredients to put in a frittata, the only limit is your imagination. I’m serious! But let me give you some ideas of what filling you can use instead of bacon and zucchini:
- Cherry tomatoes and zucchini
- Feta cheese, spinach, and onions
- Broccoli and mushrooms
- Shredded chicken breast and bell pepper
- Thin slices of baked potatoes and onions (if you’re not following the low-carb diet)
IS FRITTATA KETO?
Oh yes, it’s keto unless you put something inside like potatoes – which I’m sure is super tasty, but not low in carbs and therefore not keto-friendly. So, be mindful of what you put in your frittata! However, if you follow this recipe you’re safe, because it’s only 3g of net carbs per portion.
CAN I MAKE SPICY BACON FRITTATA WITHOUT USING AN OVEN?
Traditionally, it’s made using the stove-to-oven skillet method. However, if for some reason you don’t want to turn on the oven, or you don’t have one, you can always make it using the stovetop-only method.
Cook the bacon and zucchini as it says in the instructions below, then pour the egg mixture into the skillet and cover it with a lid. Let it cook over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes until the eggs are set. And here you have it, a stovetop spicy bacon frittata!
SPICY BACON FRITTATA
- 5 large eggs
- 50 g shredded cheese of your choice
- 80 g whipping cream 27-30% fat, not whipped
- 140 g uncured bacon
- 150 g zucchini, diced
- 2 dried chili peppers, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C (356F).
- Creak the eggs into a bowl. Add the cheese and cream, season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Whisk everything together.
- Heat a skillet (8-inches) over medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is hot, add the bacon with crushed chili peppers and cook it until golden brown. Add the zucchini and cook just for a few more minutes.
- Spread the bacon and zucchini evenly throughout the skillet and pour in the egg mixture. Shake the skillet slightly to ensure the egg mixture spread evenly.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for 20 min or until eggs are set, and the surface is golden brown.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve it hot or cold.
SHARING IS CARING