Flavorful keto chicken alfredo, with a creamy alfredo sauce with parmesan cheese and garlic, is an easy gluten-free main dish that can be made in just 30 minutes.
Ingredients and substitutes
Chicken - I use skinless chicken breasts to make my low carb chicken, but you can go with chicken thighs or even chicken tenderloins if you want. If you use frozen chicken, make sure to thaw it completely before cooking.
Seasoning - I use salt and pepper. Additionally, you can add a little bit of white or cayenne pepper if you like.
Garlic - Garlic powder won't give you that much flavor, so use fresh garlic instead. Also, I prefer to press my garlic instead of mincing it when it comes to sauce making. That way, it will blend seamlessly with the rest of the ingredients.
Butter and olive oil - I use olive oil to fry the chicken breasts and butter to sauté the garlic for the low carb alfredo sauce.
White wine and chicken stock - No need to waste an expensive wine (unless you want to!) for this keto alfredo sauce. However, you should like the flavor of the wine you use. Also, the alcohol will evaporate completely during cooking, so your kids can enjoy this low carb chicken alfredo too! As for the chicken stock, it adds so much flavor that you don't want to skip it!
Heavy cream - Don't use half and half here, it can curdle from high heat in the pan. However, you can use whole milk or heavy whipping cream if you want to.
Parmesan cheese - You need grated parmesan cheese of good quality for this keto recipe. Powdered parmesan cheese won't work!
Step by step directions
Start making our easy keto recipe by seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper to taste on both sides.
Then, heat some olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over a medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. When the chicken is golden brown, remove it from the skillet onto a plate.
To the same skillet, add the butter. When it’s melted, add the garlic and cook until golden. Next, add the wine and cook for a minute. Then add the chicken stock and simmer for a couple of minutes or until liquids are reduced by a third.
Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Then, reduce the heat to low and add the parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted. Add extra salt and black pepper if needed.
When the cheese has melted, add the chicken back. Cook on low for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove chicken onto serving plates. Whisk the sauce with a whisk or spatula and pour on top of the chicken.
Who needs fettuccine when there are so many delicious keto side dishes out there? Serve this keto alfredo chicken dish on top of LOW CARB KETO CAULIFLOWER RICE, CREAMY KETO CAULIFLOWER MASH, or with my all-time favorite OVEN ROASTED RUTABAGA RECIPE. You can also have it with EASY ROASTED CARROTS AND PARSNIPS or with KETO DINNER ROLLS (imagine dipping a piece of warm bread in a cheesy sauce! YUM!).
Carbs in keto chicken alfredo
This recipe will have 4 servings with only around 4g net carbs per serving.
Reheat the leftover sauce over a double boiler, stirring continuously until warm and creamy. Alternatively, reheat in the microwave in 10 seconds increments, stirring in between, until warm and creamy. Don’t overheat!
Properly stored in an air-tight container in the fridge, chicken alfredo will last for up to 3 days.
When the inner temperature reaches 165F (75C), the chicken is cooked through and safe to eat. If you don’t have a thermometer, you can use another method. Pierce the thickest part of chicken with a knife and press. If the juices come out clear, it’s fully cooked. If the liquids have a pink tint, let the chicken cook for an additional 5 minutes.
More low carb recipes
Keto chicken alfredo
- Non-stick skillet
- 1.5 lb. 700g skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 clove garlic minced or pressed
- 2 tbsp white wine
- ¼ cup 60g chicken stock or broth
- ¾ cup 180g heavy cream
- ½ cup 60g parmesan cheese grated (measured after grating)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Olive oil for frying
- Fresh herbs like parsley or green onions for garnishing chopped
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste on both sides.
- Heat some olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over a medium-high heat. When hot, add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. When done, remove from the skillet onto a plate.
- Add the butter to the same skillet. When completely melted, add the garlic and cook until golden. Next, add the wine and cook for a minute. Then add the chicken stock and simmer for a couple of minutes or until liquids are reduced by a third.
- Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer. Then, reduce the heat to low and add the parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted. Add extra salt and black pepper if needed.
- When the cheese has melted, add the chicken back. Cook on low for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken onto serving plates. Whisk the sauce with a whisk or a spatula and pour on top of the chicken.
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com