Juicy, with crispy edges and tons of flavors from parmesan cheese and marinara sauce, this low carb keto chicken parmesan recipe is your ultimate lunch or dinner dish that is gluten-free, delicious, and extremely easy to make.
Ingredients and substitutes
Chicken - Depending on the size, you'll need 2 or 3 whole chicken breasts that you need to cut in half lengthwise. Alternatively, you can buy 4-6 precut pieces in your local store.
Seasoning - I used salt and ground black pepper to season the chicken meat, then salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and dried oregano for the breading. Additionally, you can add Italian seasoning, onion powder, cayenne pepper, or even red pepper flakes to your breading mixture.
Breading - I use the unflavored protein powder and almond flour for almost every single recipe that calls for a breading. I find this combination works well; it sticks to the chicken and crisps up a little bit if cooked in a generous amount of oil until golden brown.
Cheese - I use finely-grated parmesan cheese to add to the breading mixture and shredded mozzarella cheese to top the chicken before finishing it in the oven.
Marinara sauce - I buy unsweetened marinara sauce to make my life easier. You can make your sauce or buy any tomato sauce that you like.
Olive oil - Use olive oil, avocado oil, or refined coconut oil to fry your chicken; be generous with the oil if you want crispy edges on your low carb parmesan chicken.
Step by step directions
Preheat the oven to 400F (205C) and line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and let it marinate while you prepare the breading mixture.
For the breading, combine the protein powder, almond flour, parmesan cheese, dried oregano, and salt with black pepper on a large plate.
Add olive oil to a large non-stick skillet so it covers the bottom with a thin layer. Heat over a medium heat.
Bread the chicken on both sides. When the skillet is hot, cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Work in batches and add extra oil when needed.
When done, place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet, spread the marinara sauce and cheese on top of each piece evenly, and bake for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted and is slightly bubbly.
Serve this low carb chicken with LOW CARB KETO CAULIFLOWER RICE, CREAMY KETO CAULIFLOWER MASH, OVEN ROASTED RUTABAGA RECIPE, or EASY ROASTED CARROTS AND PARSNIPS.
Carbs in keto parmesan chicken
This recipe is ideal for the keto diet, as we only use keto-friendly ingredients to make this low carb chicken parmesan. Each chicken piece has only around 4g net carbs.
Yes, you can. However, the best taste and texture can only be achieved with real Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
Store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
More low carb recipes
BRINED AND BAKED MUSTARD CHICKEN BREASTS
Keto chicken parmesan
- Large (11-inch/28cm) non-stick skillet
- 1.5 lb. 700g chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon unflavored protein powder I use whey protein powder
- 2 tablespoon almond flour
- ½ cup 55g grated parmesan cheese optionally pulsed in a food processor for fine crumb
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup 65g shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup 130g unsweetened marinara sauce
- Fresh basil leaves chopped
- Low carb keto cauliflower rice
- Oven roasted rutabaga recipe
- Creamy keto cauliflower mash
- Preheat the oven to 400F (205C) and line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Set aside.
- On a large plate, combine the parmesan cheese, protein powder, almond flour, dried oregano, and salt with black pepper to taste.
- Add olive oil to a large non-stick skillet so it covers the bottom with a thin layer. Heat over a medium heat.
- Bread the chicken on both sides. When the skillet is hot, cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Work in batches and add extra oil when needed.
- When done, place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet, spread the marinara sauce and cheese on top of each piece evenly, and bake for 10 minutes until the cheese has melted and is slightly bubbly.
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com
Leave a Comment