This dairy-free keto cucumber salad recipe with red onions, cucumbers, crushed peanuts, and flavorful dressing is a gluten-free salad that you can have for lunch or on the side with your main dish.
Ingredients and substitutes
Cucumbers - The only requirement for the cucumber is that you like how it tastes and it shouldn't be bitter.
Red onions - They are sweeter than yellow onions, so they're better for balancing the quite acidic dressing that we make for our low-carb keto salad.
Olive oil and sesame seed oil - While olive oil brings a lot of healthy fats to our dressing, a little bit of sesame oil adds tons of flavor.
Vinegar - I use white wine vinegar, but rice vinegar or even apple cider vinegar will work too.
Salt and pepper and red pepper flakes - You can reduce or skip red pepper flakes, if you want.
Coconut aminos - We need to balance out all the acidity from the vinegar with something sweet; coconut aminos are a perfect ingredient for that! Alternatively, you can use 2 teaspoons of powdered sweetener of your choice.
Step by step directions
First, we need to sweat our cucumbers to remove excess liquids. To do that, toss them with salt and leave them to rest for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, coconut aminos, olive oil, red pepper flakes, sesame seed oil, salt, and pepper into a small bowl. Mix until combined.
Place the onions into a small bowl and pour the dressing mixture on top. Mix and let marinate for 10 minutes.
Drain the liquids from the cucumbers. With a spoon, fish out the onions and add to the cucumbers. Toss together, taste, and add more dressing if needed.
Garnish our fresh cucumber onion salad with peanuts and serve.
Carbs in easy keto cucumber salad
This is a perfect salad to have on a keto diet since it consists of vegetables very low in carbs. You can split this salad into 4 servings with around 5g net carbs per serving.
100g of unpeeled fresh cucumber has around 1.5g net carbs. So yes, cucumbers are low in carbs.
It's better to be consumed the same day, but leftovers can last in the fridge for up to 3 days.
More low carb recipes
Keto cucumber salad
- 16 oz 460g cucumber cut in half lengthwise and then into half-moons
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 3 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup 50g roasted salted peanuts for garnishing roughly chopped
- Place the cucumbers into a salad bowl and season with salt. Mix well and leave to sweat for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the vinegar, coconut aminos, olive oil, red pepper flakes, sesame seed oil, salt, and pepper into a small bowl. Mix until combined.
- Place the onions into a small bowl and pour the dressing mixture on top. Mix and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Remove the liquids from the bowl with cucumbers. With a spoon, fish out the onions and add to the cucumbers. Toss together, taste, and add more dressing, if needed.
- Garnish with peanuts and serve.
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com