Made with canned tuna, this healthy tuna egg salad recipe is a super delicious and affordable keto lunch idea that will also look amazing on your table. Rich, with healthy fats and proteins, this easy gluten-free keto tuna with eggs salad won’t leave you hungry.
Step by step directions
Take the hard-boiled eggs (if you don’t know how to make boiled eggs, you can read it in my KETO EGG SALAD RECIPE WITH AVOCADO post) and separate the egg whites from egg yolks. Shred them onto 2 separate plates using a box shredder. I prefer to shred egg whites using a bigger shredder size (the one we use for cheese) and the egg yolks using a smaller one (the one we use for zest). But, if you only have a cheese shredder, no worries! You can use it for both the egg whites and egg yolks. And, if you don’t have any shredders at all, use your knife to cut them finely.
Place a 6-7inch (16-19cm) round springform pan, bottom removed, on a serving plate, and begin assembling the salad in layers. Layer 1 – egg whites, layer 2 – an even layer of mayo. Then, layer 3 – tuna (make sure it’s well-drained), layer 4 – green onions, layer 5 – mayo again. Next, layer 6 – shredded cheese (I use cheddar, but you can use mozzarella or gouda if you want). Lastly, layer 7 – mayo and layer 8 – egg yolks (it’s the last layer, so make it beautiful).
Finish off by garnishing your beautiful low carb keto tuna salad cake with some finely-chopped green onions and leave it to chill in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes; this will help all the flavors come together and the salad will be a little bit moister. Then, remove our healthy tuna egg salad from the fridge and carefully remove the springform ring (you might want to run a knife around the edge of the salad to loosen it from the sides of the springform ring) before cutting in.
Is tuna salad keto
Tuna is a very protein-rich fish with no carbs whatsoever and a small amount of fats. It’s great for people who follow a keto diet, but it’s too lean for keto per se. However, is this really a problem? I don’t think so! We can always add extra fats to our tuna, whether we eat it in a salad or plain. My tuna egg salad is full of healthy fats from my INSTANT KETO MAYONNAISE (but you can use whatever sugar-free mayonnaise you want, ofc), which makes this tuna salad a 100% keto-friendly lunch idea.
Carbs in keto tuna salad
One slice of this tuna keto salad has only 1.6 net carbs which is crazy low and this is what I, personally, love about this recipe. However, this salad recipe is high in calories, 447kcal/serving to be specific (and calories matter for those who want to lose weight), and can be eaten as a proper keto meal.
This keto tuna salad recipe with eggs is super satisfying on its own, but I prefer to have something extra with it to break the rich tuna flavor a little bit.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy this low carb tuna salad is to eat it with my toasted MICROWAVE KETO BREAD on the side, or some crackers like my LOW CARB CHIA CRACKERS or KETO SEED CRACKERS for extra crunch.
But, if you feel a little bit too lazy to start a cracker cooking project at the moment, wrap your tuna and egg salad in a lettuce wrap and enjoy!
More keto recipes
ARUGULA BEET SALAD WITH FETA AND WALNUTS
KETO EGG SALAD RECIPE WITH AVOCADO
Healthy tuna egg salad recipe
- Spring form
- 7 large hard-boiled eggs
- 10 oz (280g) can tuna in water, well drained
- 4 oz (120g) shredded cheese like cheddar, mozzarella or gouda
- 7 oz (200g) cup INSTANT KETO MAYONNAISE, or other keto-friendly mayo like from Primal Kitchen
- 3 green onions + some extra for garnishing, finely chopped
- Take the hard-boiled eggs and separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. Shred them onto 2 separate plates using a box shredder.
- Place a 6-7inch (16-19cm) round springform pan, bottom removed, on a serving plate and begin assembling the salad.
- Spread the shredded egg whites as a first layer, then spread am even layer of mayonnaise on top.
- Add a layer of tuna, then a layer of green onions, and finish off with one more layer of mayonnaise.
- Add a layer of shredded cheese of your choice and spread the last layer of mayonnaise on top.
- Evenly spread the shredded egg yolks as the last layer and garnish with some extra thinly chopped green onions.
- Leave the salad to chill in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before removing the springform ring and serving.
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com
This recipe is so fun to make with kids! And it’s absolutely delicious.
Thank you for your comment, Sofia!