These low carb keto zucchini fritters with bacon are perfect as an appetizer or side dish. They’re an easy-to-make, gluten-free, crispy on the outside but tender and flavorful on the inside dish that’s perfect for a keto diet.
INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED
Fresh zucchini - We'll need 4 cups (550g or 3 medium zucchinis) of shredded zucchini.
Bacon - Make sure that you use sugar-free uncured bacon.
Eggs - Eggs will help to bind all ingredients together.
Almond flour - As always, we use gluten-free and grain-free flour instead of Panco and other non-keto ingredients.
Cheese - Cheese is very important in this recipe; it helps our delicious fritters to stay in one piece. I use shredded mild cheddar, but you can use mozzarella as well as parmesan cheese.
Cilantro - I love to add some kind of green elements to my recipes. Freshly chopped cilantro will complement the flavors from bacon and chili flakes.
Spices - I use chili flakes, onion powder, and garlic powder to make these healthy zucchini fritters. You can also experiment with different spices! Add some smoky paprika or replace chili with ground chipotle pepper - or add a pinch of ground cayenne.
Sour cream - These low carb zucchini patties are meant to be served with some kind of dipping sauce. My personal favorite is cold sour cream, but you can also try to serve this dish with my INSTANT KETO MAYONNAISE or another dipping sauce of your choice.
Green onions - It's always a good idea to add fresh and crunchy greens on top of the fried dishes to break down those very bold flavors a little.
HOW TO MAKE KETO ZUCCHINI FRITTERS WITH BACON
Zucchini contains more than 90% water, so to make our fritters we need to get read of as much water as possible. To do that, we’re going to “sweat” our shredded zucchini by placing it in a large mixing bowl and adding 2 tsp of salt. Then, mix well and set aside to sweat for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, let’s cook the bacon on a skillet over a medium-high heat. When it’s golden and crispy, place it on a paper towel to remove any excess fat.
After 20 minutes, drain the water from the zucchini by squeezing it with your hands or using a fine strainer. Discard the water and return the zucchini to the bowl with the whisked eggs, cheese, almond flour, cilantro, bacon, garlic powder, onion powder, chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Then, mix well using a fork and form 10 even (around 2.5”- 3” or 6-7cm) zucchini patties. You can also scoop around ⅛ cup of the mixture right onto the skillet and gently press down to spread the mixture.
Cook 3-4 patties at a time on a large non-stick skillet greased with olive oil (or other cooking oil of your choice) over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown on both sides. After, place on a kitchen paper towel to rest. Repeat with the rest of the patties.
Serve warm topped with some sour cream and freshly chopped green onions.
IS ZUCCHINI KETO?
Yes, you can have zucchini on a keto low carb diet. One small zucchini (around 100g) contains only 2.5 net carbs; you can literally eat it as much as you want. Also, it's a good source of potassium - a mineral that’s especially important for those who follow the keto diet!
HOW MANY CARBS IN LOW CARB ZUCCHINI FRITTERS RECIPE
It depends how big your fritters are! Let's assume that you followed my recipe to a T and made 10 even fritters. If you did that, you’ll end up with 2g net carbs and only 98kcal per one patty.
HOW TO SERVE GLUTEN FREE ZUCCHINI FRITTERS
I see this easy low carb dish as an appetizer - or even as finger food, if you make these fritters smaller in size. However, it can be served as a side dish, too. Enjoy my keto fritters with this CREAMY KETO BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP, HEALTHY KETO ZUPPA TOSCANA SOUP, or try them with my ARUGULA BEET SALAD WITH FETA AND WALNUTS. Also, this zucchini patties recipe can be the perfect food for picky eaters who don't like vegetables.
MORE LOW CARB RECIPES
Keto zucchini fritters
- Non-stick skillet
- 4 cup (550g) or 3 medium zucchinis, shredded
- 1 tsp salt to sweat the zucchini
- 6 slices sugar-free bacon, chopped
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- ⅓ cup (35g) shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup (50g) almond flour
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil for frying
- Green onions, chopped
- Sour cream
- Place the shredded zucchini into a large mixing bowl and add 2 tsp of salt. Mix well and set aside to sweat for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon on a skillet over a medium-high heat. When done, place it on a paper towel to get rid of the excess fat.
- After 20 minutes, drain the water from the zucchini by squeezing with your hands or using a fine strainer. Discard the water.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over a medium-high heat and drizzle a generous amount of olive oil.
- Place the drained zucchini in a mixing bowl and add the eggs, cheese, almond flour, cilantro, bacon, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili flakes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Mix well using a fork and form 10 even (around 2.5”- 3” or 6-7cm) zucchini patties. You can also scoop around ⅛ cup of the mixture right onto the skillet and gently press down to spread the mixture.
- When the skillet is hot, cook 3-4 patties at a time for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown on both sides. After, place on a paper towel to rest. Repeat with the rest of the patties.
- Serve warm topped with some sour cream and freshly chopped green onions.
This website, https://heretocook.com, offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and should not be construed as a guarantee. This information is a product of online calculators such as Cronometer.com and MyFitnesPal.com