This BBQ keto ribs recipe is perfect for keto and low carb diets. Delicious, glazed with keto BBQ sauce, these fall-off-the-bone oven-baked pork ribs will become a centerpiece of your dinner table.
HOW TO REMOVE MEMBRANE FROM RIBS
First, we need to remove the membrane from the underside of our pork spare ribs. If you buy ribs without the membrane, you can skip this step and start seasoning. If not, use a small knife to slide under the membrane and lift it. Then, using a paper towel (to get a better grip), grab the loosened piece of membrane and pull it off. Don’t hurry and try to remove it in one piece. Otherwise, repeat all steps until there’s no membrane left.
HOW TO MAKE BBQ KETO RIBS
Rub the ribs with salt and freshly ground pepper on both sides (or use any sugar-free dry rub for ribs of your choice). Leave them marinating for up to 30 minutes at room temperature.
When done, place our ribs (meat side up) onto a baking tray lined with aluminum foil and cover it with an additional piece of foil.
Cook our keto pork ribs in an oven preheated to 135C (275F) for about 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Then, remove them from the oven and raise the temperature to 180C (355F).
Apply the first layer of glaze on the top of the spare ribs and bake for 10 minutes. After, remove from the oven and apply the second layer of our smoky barbecue sauce; bake for 5-10 minutes. Let the ribs sit on the counter for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
SUGAR-FREE BARBECUE SAUCE
You won’t believe it, but this keto-friendly barbecue sauce is super easy to make – and we don’t need brown sugar! Here’s what ingredients we do need:
Ketchup – Make sure that you use unsweetened ketchup.
Tomato paste – To make the tomato flavor even richer, we’re going to add some tomato paste.
Tamari soy sauce – You can use tamari soy sauce or any gluten-free soy sauce of your choice.
Chipotle paste – This will add a pinch of spiciness and a smoky flavor to our keto BBQ sauce.
Coconut aminos – Why use sugar if we have coconut aminos? Coconut aminos will provide sweetness without extra carbs. You can substitute them with ½ tsp of keto sweetener of your choice or a few drops of stevia.
Garlic – Use one clove of fresh garlic (we’re going to sieve it out from the sauce and throw it away after cooking) to achieve a very smooth and glossy texture.
Water – Add some water so our ingredients come together nicely.
To make the BBQ sauce, combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring the mixture to a light simmer. Taste and add some salt and chipotle pepper (if you want it to be spicier), if needed. Cook it for up to one minute, stirring continuously. Then, remove the saucepan from the heat and sieve the sauce into a small bowl, removing the garlic and leaving our glaze smooth and glossy.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH OVEN-BAKED RIBS?
Fresh or grilled vegetables will always be my number one choice as a side dish for pork recipes, but if you want something a little bit more interesting, try these EASY SAUTEED MUSHROOMS WITH GARLIC. Also, this ARUGULA BEET SALAD WITH FETA AND WALNUTS, with its great mix of flavors, will go well with our BBQ keto ribs. However, if you want a more neutral side dish to make your keto spare ribs shine, go for my CREAMY KETO CAULIFLOWER MASH recipe.
MORE KETO PORK RECIPES TO TRY
BBQ keto ribs
- Baking tray
- Aluminum foil
- 2.5 lb (1.3kg) spare ribs
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp ketchup, unsweetened
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 tsp chipotle paste
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 135C (275F).
- Remove the membrane from the underside of the short pork ribs, if needed. Then, season with salt and pepper and let it marinate for up to 30 mins.
- Place the ribs, meat side up, onto a baking tray lined with aluminum foil and cover the tray with an additional piece of foil.
- Bake for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Combine all glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a light simmer. Cook for up to one minute, stirring continuously.
- Then, remove from the heat and sieve the glaze into a small bowl, removing pieces of garlic and leaving the glazy smooth and glossy.
- When the ribs are done, remove from the oven and up the heat to 180C (355F).
- Apply the first layer of glazing on the top of the ribs and bake for 10 minutes. Then, remove from the oven and apply the second layer of glaze. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until the glaze has caramelized.
- Let the ribs sit on the counter for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.